12 things i learned in 2012

Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 was a sort of "re-birth" year for me.  there were many ups and downs throughout the year but i'm happy to say i'm ending the year on a high note.  i'm happier than i've been in a long time and i can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for me.  i'm ready to continue on my path to loving me and fulfilling all my goals and dreams.  



here are 12 things i learned in 2012 ...

1. the only person who matters most in my life is myself.  putting me first is never a bad thing.  i am my number one priority and that will never change.  my happiness comes first. 

2. work / life balance is important.  leave work at work.  there's no need to stress about what's going on at work when i'm not there.  enjoy time off with friends and family, they are more important.

3. kindness matters.  always be kind to the people around you, even if they don't necessarily deserve it.  lending a helping hand to someone who you just want to punch in the face goes a lot further than giving them a black eye ever will.

4. set aside me time.  doing things for myself - even little things like a solo coffee date or a trip to the movies - make all the difference in the world.  enjoy my time alone to recharge and regroup.

5. family is family.  no matter the trials and rough patches, they will always be there for me.  learn to look past the "negative" and focus on the positive of the relationships.  love them for who they are.

6. friends are important and staying in contact with them is a valuable thing.  

7. never underestimate a new haircut and color.  as much as i may not want to spend the money on it, it will always make me feel like a new person.  i always deserve to look my best. 

8. saving money feels good.  knowing that my money is going towards school, my car and other important things is more satisfying than spending it on cheap clothes and coffee.  but, don't ever hesitate to treat myself if i need to. 

9. when i start to get sick, i need to stop.  i have to take better care of myself and know when to put on the brakes.  going a million miles an hour is fun, but not when it ends with a day or two spent sick in bed.

10. celebrate the little accomplishments.  got a raise?  i'll drink to that!  an A on an exam?  pick up that cd i've been wanting.  celebrating the little things keeps me motivated to accomplish the big things.

11. online classes suck.  i learn more in class and feel more fulfilled by what i'm learning.  from now on, no more online classes.  they do nothing for me. 

12. it doesn't hurt to ask for help.  going to therapy was the biggest reason i have been able to overcome my past and look brightly towards my future. 


i can't wait to see what lies ahead on my journey.  so many things to look forward in 2013, lots of goals and dreams to accomplish and lots of wishes that i hope i can make come true. so, bring it on, 2013, i'm ready!


5 comments:

Kym @ Travel Babbles said...

Ah, Kelsey - I absolutely love this post! 2012 was clearly a year of growth for you!! I look forward to following your journey into 2013! Happy New Year sweet girl!

Oliviaaa said...

No.3 is a favorite. and everything else... spot on. love you lady. happy new year!

Gentri said...

Great lessons! Things we all need to remember. :) Happy New Year!!

Dree said...

I loved reading what you've learned this year. I'm definitely going to incorporate your idea of celebrating the little accomplishments into my resolutions for 2013. I hope your year is wonderful!

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

Love these. Especially 1 and 12 - so important to remember!

Cheers to a beautiful new year :)

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)